It is the very rare person that tells us they have absolutely no problem with being told ‘no’ in their business.
Fear of the word “no” when it comes to selling is more common than anyone would care to admit and shows itself in a variety of ways. Here are just a few common scenarios…
- When it comes time to prospect and make calls, you repeatedly throw all kinds of tasks and busy work into your day so that you are never able to get to it.
- You go to a networking event and meet people (prospects) for your business. But when it comes time to give them a call, you freeze and literally cannot pick up the phone. You wait so long, you get embarrassed and even feel ashamed about how long it has taken you to get up the courage… you throw out their contact information and hope you can do better next time.
- When you are selling, instead of adding on and suggesting additional products and services, you simply take the order, not wanting to look pushy.
- You have someone tell you ‘not now’ and to check back with them later, but you don’t, figuring that they will just tell you, no.
- If someone tells you ‘no’ you don’t attempt to figure out why or if you can follow up later, you accept that it is a ‘no’ forever.
- You have spent incredible amounts of time and money learning about a business, gathering the product knowledge, and getting organized. However, fear of failure is keeping you from taking any further action.
The situations that are created around fearing the word ‘no’ go on and on. However, there is a solution. Just like you learn any skill, you can re-learn and reprogram the current thoughts and beliefs you have which are causing you all of these problems! Personally, we would NOT classify ourselves as fearless! If we did, we never would have been able to write the book Go for No! and understand as we do, how to people solve this problem as we have all these years.
What Should You Do Now?
First, agree that this is a problem and you are ready to fix it.
Next, the fastest and simplest thing you can do right now is read the book Go for No! With over 1000 5 star reviews on Amazon.com, and it being short as well, you will read it and love it.
If you really want to learn how to implement Go for No in your life and business, take our online training and coaching course. Details here.
No matter what you decide to do, don’t give up in solving your fear of rejection in sales. As Daniel H. Pink said, “One of the best predictors of ultimate success … isn’t natural talent or even industry expertise, but how you explain your failures and rejections.” You can use your failures and the rejections you encounter to beat you down and make you quit, or you can change the way you think and feel by learning to ‘go for no’ and free yourself forever.